Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Animated Undead can be targeted by their corpses' keywords.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:59 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Right now, if I make an animated undead out of an inn bouncer, then if I target "inn" that created undead is actually a valid target. That's really painful because I can often create animated undead out a max of eight different NPCs, which means that if I manage to target one of my undead accidentally via an aggressive spell or order, I turn my group inside out. It's really difficult to keep track of all of those keywords as well as hope that my friends keep track of all of them mentally.

Would it be possible to remove the animated corpses' keywords? The downside that would need to be addressed in the process however, is that then if a rogue is trying to circle one of them he isn't going to get the number of the undead if all the undead are different.

Post subject: Re: Animated Undead can be targeted by their corpses' keywor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:05 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
This isn't a bug and, I'm almost certain was in fact intended so that necros couldn't just roll up with a group's worth of identical undead in order to use the interface for an advantage rather than, you know, tactics or skill.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:06 pm 
Implementor

It's not a bug, it's a feature. I specifically added the keywords to be an aid to opponents (or friends) attempting to target specific undead. If you find this to be a hindrance, you do have the option to find (or create) and animate similar-looking corpses. But yes, that's probably more work and it definitely won't look as cool.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:16 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
ObjectivistActivist wrote:
This isn't a bug and, I'm almost certain was in fact intended so that necros couldn't just roll up with a group's worth of identical undead in order to use the interface for an advantage rather than, you know, tactics or skill.
The only time that this makes a difference is when undead are positionally protecting the front or rear of someone: And this change didn't make it any easier because if you use the "info" command all you see is "a skeleton of" or "a zombie of" in the info box anyway, because there isn't enough room to get to the full description. Regardless, aggressive actions or spells always result in targeting whatever is directly in front of your target, and now, rogues get the message of "a 3.barghest is blocking your way" if similar NPCs are in the room.

In fact, now it's even worse because not only is the spam from undead combat unbelievably pervasive on account of the longer short desc of the NPCs, but if you animate corpses which share some, but not all keywords, even a rogue is going to have a hard time figuring out which one to circle in the heat of battle whereas before this change it was at least possible.

I mean, it's a neat RP tool and all that, but it's nothing more than frustrating to everyone on both sides of the necro.