Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:26 am 
Oh come on, that's not the point at what I'm trying to get to.

Of course I think I saved against the spell, but it is not showing that, it's showing the damage message for a non-saved cast of magma spray (red message).

And there doesn't seem to be a saved message for magma spray (yellow message).

I'm not sure if the full damage reduction still works either (white message).

So my complaint is, why am I getting the red message when I should be getting the yellow message?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:55 am 
Mortal

Well Ardith, the answer is simple.

SK hates you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:54 pm 
Implementor

Magma spray does not have a conventional saving throw. You ALWAYS take full damage. There is a reflex save, but it only comes into play if you aren't covered in magma already. Failing the save is what makes magma stick, but it can only happen once. When magma sticks, it does double the normal damage for that attack. Because of this, there is no "yellow message" for magma spray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:16 pm 
Mortal

Hey D, didn't we have this conversation awhile ago in gameplay and you said you would change the messages to better reflect their actual meeting or was I just hilucinating again?
[Edit]
Dulrik wrote:
Well it's the message that is somewhat misleading. Magma spray actually does full damage on every attack and double damage the first time that someone fails their save and it "sticks". You might say, "What's the difference?" The difference is that magma spray does as much damage on a "failure" as most other spells do on a success. I'll probably revise the messages.

http://www.shatteredkingdoms.org/forums ... php?t=9707

Nope, not this time.
[/Edit]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:16 pm 
Mortal

Personally I think that if resist elements is reducing the damage that far, it needs to be changed. It should reduce damage, but not cut it down by nearly 80% as shown in Ardith's log.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:49 pm 
Implementor

I changed my mind. If you got yellow messages for normal hits, even if the damage never changed at all, the perception would be that the spell sucks. Keeping it the way it is better represents what is going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:56 pm 
Personally I think resist elements should block special damages that all warlock spells should do because the class just blows, not reduce damage.

As you can see from my exceeding eliteness, magma just sucks, and if magma does that [REDACTED] of damage, then all the other spells that a warlock has does equally as [REDACTED] damage, if not more so.

I was thinking for a moment that art would counteract this but seeing from the exceeding sucky damage that it did to Tragonis' unprepared shaman, I think the class needs to be buffed.

Art only impacted those spells that are "malediction" class. Which means that only really hellions and the "death star" AKA necromancer actually benefited from it.

I'm gonna make a post in Gameplay too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:00 pm 
Implementor

Basically, your facts are incorrect. Magma spray actually is one of the spells least helped by art, since your opponent will only be forced into failing a single saving throw during the fight. Other warlock spells use art on every single casting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:25 pm 
Ardith wrote:
Personally I think resist elements should block special damages that all warlock spells should do because the class just blows, not reduce damage.

As you can see from my exceeding eliteness, magma just sucks, and if magma does that [REDACTED] of damage, then all the other spells that a warlock has does equally as [REDACTED] damage, if not more so.

I was thinking for a moment that art would counteract this but seeing from the exceeding sucky damage that it did to Tragonis' unprepared shaman, I think the class needs to be buffed.

Art only impacted those spells that are "malediction" class. Which means that only really hellions and the "death star" AKA necromancer actually benefited from it.

I'm gonna make a post in Gameplay too.

My shaman wasn't unprepared. But the lack of eq slots I have makes magma so powerful against me. Everything can be saved against, in some cases like magma some what. A very well enchanted pc with resist elements should negate most of the damage from magma. I know warlocks are far from the top class but it does take some effort to be somewhat immune to the abilities of a warlock.

As for art, it impacted not just hellions and necromancers. Sorcs, shamans, priests, and paladins where also boosted by it, and warlocks aswell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:46 pm 
Mortal

If one peruses the help files carefully, one will find that magma spray in particular is effected by resist elements. It was designed that way - so against an unprepared opponent it does vast amounts of damage, but against someone prepared, a wise warlock would do well to consider using cone of cold instead.