Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Area Familiarity
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:20 pm 
Mortal

So, I'm going to put this out here for discussion because I've just started playing with this and while I think I've detected a pattern, I might also just be crazy... also it may not be a bug:

I've noticed that my familiarity with an NPCs area of origin seems to increase even though I'm summoning the NPCs out of their area of origin and killing them in another.

I was a little disappointed to discover this, as I was hoping I could stretch the mileage out of an area before moving on to the next one. I don't feel like NPCs should be tied to their area of origin in regards to familiarity.

Post subject: Re: Area Familiarity
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:26 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
There isn't really any way to fix your issue, though I discovered this long ago as a player and was similarly dismayed.

The simple fact is that NPCs have vnums, which are inextricably tied to specific areas.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:27 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
This isn't a bug, it's intended. The idea is to prevent people from twinking a way around the area familiarity system by summoning NPCs out of their origin areas.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:33 pm 
Mortal

ObjectivistActivist wrote:
This isn't a bug, it's intended. The idea is to prevent people from twinking a way around the area familiarity system by summoning NPCs out of their origin areas.

You call it twinking, I call it being lazy and trying to work around silly limitations with a creative solution.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 pm 
Mortal

This is a feature. Dulrik got upset that people are smart.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 pm 
Mortal

Meissa wrote:
There isn't really any way to fix your issue, though I discovered this long ago as a player and was similarly dismayed.

The simple fact is that NPCs have vnums, which are inextricably tied to specific areas.

How can there not be a way to fix my issue? It seems like instead of increasing your familiarity with the vnum range of the area that the NPC came from that you just increase familiarity in the area the player is currently in?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:35 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
three_sixteen wrote:
ObjectivistActivist wrote:

You call it twinking, I call it being lazy and trying to work around silly limitations with a creative solution.

No, I didn't call it twinking. Dulrik did in response to the last person that complained about this. Frankly, I think it should be an effective option.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:46 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
You get xp from dealing damage to NPCs. The NPC vnum and the collective damage dealt are how familiarity is determined, which is why you get familiar faster in areas within your range where you're doing more damage to NPCs (near the end of your rank).

It stopped bothering me pretty quickly when I realized that I could easily avoid dangerous areas by summoning bad guys out and still learning in their area. The door swings both ways.

For the record, it was never changed so that familiarity is based on NPCs; it has always been this way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:56 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
The concept behind familiarity is to keep you from killing the same NPCs repeatedly for all of the levels.

Go train on different NPCs, there's absolutely no way that summoning and killing NPCs is faster than just going somewhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 pm 
Mortal

Meissa wrote:
You get xp from dealing damage to NPCs. The NPC vnum and the collective damage dealt are how familiarity is determined, which is why you get familiar faster in areas within your range where you're doing more damage to NPCs (near the end of your rank).

It stopped bothering me pretty quickly when I realized that I could easily avoid dangerous areas by summoning bad guys out and still learning in their area. The door swings both ways.

For the record, it was never changed so that familiarity is based on NPCs; it has always been this way.

I think you've missed my point.. What I'm saying is that vnums don't necessarily have to have any impact on anything.

Maybe something like:

(NPC level / your level) + (current area you're occupying familiarity factor) * (xp awarding action maths)

NOT

(NPC level / your level) + (NPC vnum crossreferenced to an area to determine area familiarity factor) * (xp awarding action maths)