Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Using the Idea, Typo and Bug System
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:13 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Alright, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, bug, typo and idea loggers of all ages!

We recently reset the bug log, and many of you have been hard at work pointing out bugs, typos, missing descriptions and other items for our consideration. We thank you sincerely for this, as we do try to keep things in working, grammatically correct form. However, some of the entries are sorely lacking in useful content. We only play omnipotent Gods in SK; we lack the mind-reading abilities of our characters, so I'm going to illustrate some dos and don'ts for using the bug, typo and idea commands.

If I call your input out, it's only for the sake of demonstration. I don't want you to feel bad, and I'm certainly not going to add names to them. But if you recognize anything (or realize that you've submitted something similar), you may wish to resubmit your idea, typo or bug.

Here is an excellent typo log submission:

Quote:
“Someone tells you 'OOC: When ready, type "academy" to enter the path and begin your adventure.' is incorrect in this room. "Academy" does nothing; the correct syntax would be open west, west.”

It very clearly explains what the issue is. Clearly, when the area was updated, the dialogue was not. We know what to look for and how to fix it based on this log. Further, the typo was logged while the character was within the Ayamaoan Academy, where the incorrect information actually resides within the game. This is helpful because the log stamps your room vnum so that we can more quickly identify which builder will be responsible for fixing it. (Ahem, Dabi.)

Some not-so-excellent submissions that we've seen lately:

Quote:
“bash”

Quote:
“should also give visions to the intended victim.”

Quote:
“underground xDD”

What about bash? What should give visions to the victim? Underground? Okay, then. . . if you say so, dude.

When you're logging a bug, typo or idea, remember that you get one carriage return to make your case, so everything should be presented before you hit “enter.” If you simply say “to rallying cry,” I honestly will have no idea what the heck you're trying to suggest; I'm just going to delete the entry and move on to the next one.

Thanks billions.

- M

Post subject: Re: Using the Idea, Typo and Bug System
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:56 pm 
Mortal

Meissa wrote:
Here is an excellent typo log submission:

Quote:
“Someone tells you 'OOC: When ready, type "academy" to enter the path and begin your adventure.' is incorrect in this room. "Academy" does nothing; the correct syntax would be open west, west.”

*flex*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:32 am 
Mortal

Just because it might be obvious to the person reporting the bug or typo, does not mean that it will be obvious to the fixer. Providing as much detail about the problem is best so that it can be fixed promptly instead of deciphering where the fix needs to go. If it is in the room name, state it. If it is in the third line of the room or NPC or item description, say it is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:13 am 
Mortal

Is there any way to know what's actually already been posted? I haven't posted any of the few issues that I've seen because I figured they already had been since I'm so new here. Didn't want to come across as rude :oops: Unfortunately I don't remember where they're at now because my character has been all over Pyrathia.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:36 am 
Mortal

If I come across a piece of wilderness without any description, could I simply <typo blank room> and call it a day?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:09 am 
Immortal

SeraKyla wrote:
Is there any way to know what's actually already been posted? I haven't posted any of the few issues that I've seen because I figured they already had been since I'm so new here. Didn't want to come across as rude :oops: Unfortunately I don't remember where they're at now because my character has been all over Pyrathia.

Nope. Just assume that it's not posted. If there are duplicate reports of the same issue, we can delete them quite easily, but if all players assumes that it's been reported instead of logging themselves, it may be a long time before we find them on our own.

If you're concerned with sounding rude, just skip condescension and report the problem. The game has been built over the last 17 years by tens of people who have played Immortal characters over the years. It's highly likely that the person who will enact the fix on a typo is not the person who's responsible for putting it into the game in the first place, so they're not likely to get sore over a mistake being pointed out. Even if it was my own typo, I'd rather it be pointed out so that I can fix it than to have some random ridiculous word sticking out in my area like a sore thumb.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:14 am 
Immortal

laeZ1 wrote:
If I come across a piece of wilderness without any description, could I simply <typo blank room> and call it a day?

Well yes; I would consider this a fairly accurate explanation of the problem.