Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: MR Barbs Holding Spells on Themselves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:01 pm 
Mortal

MR barbs shouldn't be able to self-cast spells regardless of AoN. Whether or not that provides them disincentives to join certain cabals is immaterial.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:13 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: That one guy who pk'd you.
I don't think self casting is a problem, 100% immune however is. Nothing in esskay works 100%. MR should not provide such protection. I think it should widdle down with each spell until the barbarian can recover and restore his resistance.

He can walk around with 100% resistance, but a gm level petrification would turn him into 99% resistant, and eating mistletoe will lower his resistance, or self casting, where he might just get a little bit vulnerable to spells.

Last edited by Tragonis on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:24 pm 
Mortal

Not letting MR barbarians use self-only cabal spells won't fix the problem - it will replace one play style with another. They will simply fall back to the second rank and use aura of negation in conjunction with a polearm, spear or other reaching weapon instead of sitting in the front rank with prone immunity.

All the while, still able to spam eat mistletoe to heal as good or better than any other character. Being immune to prone via a self-only cabal ability would mean nothing if you couldn't heal yourself to full by eating mistletoe.

The problem is mistletoe/MR healing - not cabal spells.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:51 pm 
Mortal

The diminishing returns was to prevent an MR barb and warlock from using hax to kill cabal guardians cheaply and easily.

I think a lot of you forget that Qahz and Delaney were demolishing the midnight guardian quite easily by spamming chain lightning on the MR barb which also helped with damage output on the guardian, and healed the MR barb for outrageous amounts.

This took no more setup than having 2 characters exist.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:58 am 
Mortal

What if each spell that their MR resists, their natural MR goes down (or down in general). Similar to impairment, but for MR. That would allow casters to have a chance in hell to get past MR, but not automatically.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:30 am 
Mortal

SK Character: That one guy who pk'd you.
Exactly, and it will keep people from spam eating mistletoe for long durations. As well give them incentive to enchant for mr.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:58 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Rolf
I like that idea as well. Each mistletoe they eat would start to slow tear down their MR. Eventually, they could become vulnerable to spells if they were to get hit with enough spells, or eat enough mistletoe.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:32 am 
Mortal

This would be a buff to MR barbarians as it would allow them to receive beneficial spells more easily.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:36 am 
Mortal

I agree with the idea that if the MR barb is magically resistant, then he/she should be magically resistant to everything equally. Magic is magic... it's the players who make it good or evil, beneficial or detrimental. If the barb is resistant to magic, then he should be resistant across the board... equally if he were only 'partially resistant' i.e. a saving throw to see if the resistance was successful, then that would also apply evenly across the board whether it was a beneficial or a detrimental spell.

EDIT: Along those same lines, the word 'resistant' means that it is apt to being able to stop something but is by no means 100%. So by the very wording that this stat/att (whatever you want to call it) is given, they shouldn't be completely 100% held off from spells, good or bad. 'Fire resistant' clothing doesn't mean that it won't ever catch on flames but that it will take a long time of constant heat to wear it down OR extreme heat before it will catch on fire. I think here we should be looking at the same concept... a constant wearing on the resistance without pause should break down the barrier... whether the spell is beneficial or detrimental to the MR barb.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:26 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Retired Troll
FinneyOwnzU wrote:
Not letting MR barbarians use self-only cabal spells won't fix the problem - it will replace one play style with another. They will simply fall back to the second rank and use aura of negation in conjunction with a polearm, spear or other reaching weapon instead of sitting in the front rank with prone immunity.

All the while, still able to spam eat mistletoe to heal as good or better than any other character. Being immune to prone via a self-only cabal ability would mean nothing if you couldn't heal yourself to full by eating mistletoe.

The problem is mistletoe/MR healing - not cabal spells.

Alternatively, being able to spam eat mistletoe and heal would mean very little if you were prone.

MR hambarbs currently get to have their cake and eat it too. It is a disgustingly OP combo that almost lured me back to the game. I knew it was broken as soon as the code changes went in and considered rolling something just so I could stomp all over the mud with minimal effort.