Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Decades old bug in Bakemono Caves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:48 pm 
Mortal

In the bakemono caves, the builder created a fake exit in one room. If you attempt to go down, a script fires that automatically stuns your character. The story given is that you slip on moss, but this script ignores flying, magical or innate, and has no save. It also separates riders from their mounts. Because of this bad design, for centuries, adventurers have been doing things like mounting up and ordering their mount to go down (avoiding the auto slip script), or repeatedly fleeing until the mount and rider go down (avoiding the auto slip script).

Should characters who use flee to avoid poorly written scripts be deleted for exploiting a bug in the flee command, or should this be overlooked as something that should have been taken into account by the builder (who obviously did not care about fairness since the script ignores flying. A magically floating character can't slip and fall while floating down a hill)?

What other areas have unfair/broken scripts that require 'workarounds' from players, that could be considered bannable offenses under today's new rules? If players have to use "common sense" to avoid going against the builder's intent for a quest, I think builders should be held to the same standard and such areas/scripts be fixed in a timely manner.

Post subject: Re: Decades old bug in Bakemono Caves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:30 pm 
Immortal

Fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:30 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Actually, if you're flying you don't get stunned.
There's also an obviously coded feature to avoid getting stunned.

The frustrating part -is- that even if your pet is flying, you still can't bring it.

That's why people would flee or try to twink around it, not because they didn't want to get stunned, but because they wanted to bring a pet to an area that would otherwise require you getting a pet in a more legitimate way or simply exploring the area to find the place that sells pets deeper inside. It would be nice if you could simply get past the area with a pet if the pet was flying.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:47 pm 
Mortal

Thuban wrote:
Fixed.

Good fix!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:41 pm 
Mortal

So I haven't played in a couple days, but I just discovered that there doesn't seem to be a way back up now, unless you can fly or climb. I think this is unintentional so hopefully a solution can be implemented.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:01 pm 
Immortal

theDrifter wrote:
So I haven't played in a couple days, but I just discovered that there doesn't seem to be a way back up now, unless you can fly or climb. I think this is unintentional so hopefully a solution can be implemented.

This is by design. If you think you should be able to climb up a waterfall without the climb skill, you can make a case for it. The way I interpret the original builder's intent was for this to be an annoying environmental hazard, and I don't like the idea of just getting rid of it altogether. The way down gives a clue that it might not be so easy to get back up, and it makes sense that it would be hard to climb up a waterfall. I am by no means married to how it is now, but the old way was clearly bugged. The way it is now is not bugged and retains the original builder's intent of having an environmental annoyance in this spot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:28 am 
Mortal

I guess I assumed that if you can climb down the rope, you can climb back up. It seems harsh for a journeyman level area, but as long as it's working as intended I guess it's fine. Better than the buggy version.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:47 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Gailehn, Stephanov
theDrifter wrote:
I guess I assumed that if you can climb down the rope, you can climb back up. It seems harsh for a journeyman level area, but as long as it's working as intended I guess it's fine. Better than the buggy version.

Quote:
It's too steep for you to climb unaided.

How is the rope climbing unaided? Why is the same script not used on the bottom to get back up? We went from a bug that was used to players' advantage to an unfriendly to new player fix. Please review.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:12 pm 
Mortal

theDrifter wrote:

This! so many times over. Does it make absolute logical sense, possibly not. Is it a clear undue burden you're placing upon a huge percentage of characters, more or less taking away this place as a potential training location? Yes, unless there is a huge XP advantage to using this place, your 'fix' has likely removed this place from relevance for the majority of builds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:38 pm 
Mortal

the bakemono caves are the same level range as another area (that i'm not going to name cuz then it will get nerfed into the ground), which is much better and easier experience. so this change is just the final nail in the coffin of an area that was already sub optimal.

this one was of those situations where the imms should have respected the don't fix what isn't broken proverb