Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: De-Hoarding code not taking much effect
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:48 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
I have a sorc that was holding a fair amount of limited items, and I probably logged no more than 5 hours on him this past month. He lost some items, but nowhere near all, amongst his kept items were a limited sanc staff and hellfire wand, as well as a ward ring and 4 pieces of low-level (but still limited IIRC) icy-blue gear with innate MR.

Shouldn't characters with less than 5 hours logged in a month lose all their limited items? I recall the hoarding code being a lot more aggressive than this in the past.

Post subject: Re: De-Hoarding code not taking much effect
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:11 pm 
Mortal

Why don't you de hoard yourself instead of relying on the Code? You clearly aren't playing and don't intend on using it, so why purposefully keep it out of circulation? The problem would be solved if you'd sack up and junk the [REDACTED] yourself so it was back in circulation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:25 pm 
Mortal

I probably will, but honestly I had a feeling on the last monthly reboot that the dehoarding code seemed to not be doing anything meaningful, and I wanted to see if I was correct. Aside from the sanc staff, none of the stuff I have is in high demand despite being limited.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:07 pm 
Mortal

Pretty sure armor and weapons are the highest priority when it comes to not logging enough hours. I mean I had two Iron Citadel necklaces and literally logged maybe 2 hours on that character and I kept them, but lost everything else (deservedly so).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:11 pm 
Implementor

It was changed less than a year ago in a way that was more lenient while making sure the truely valued items are still pulled if you sit on them. No, will not specify how it works.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:35 pm 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
I have a sorc that was holding a fair amount of limited items, and I probably logged no more than 5 hours on him this past month. He lost some items, but nowhere near all, amongst his kept items were a limited sanc staff and hellfire wand, as well as a ward ring and 4 pieces of low-level (but still limited IIRC) icy-blue gear with innate MR.

Baranov wrote:
Pretty sure armor and weapons are the highest priority when it comes to not logging enough hours. I mean I had two Iron Citadel necklaces and literally logged maybe 2 hours on that character and I kept them, but lost everything else (deservedly so).

Dulrik wrote:
It was changed less than a year ago in a way that was more lenient while making sure the truely valued items are still pulled if you sit on them. No, will not specify how it works.

three reasons why it's counterproductive to help other characters.

with the way loot works on sk, ur just lowering ur own chances of getting decent gear cuz inactive players rarely do the right thing and retire or junk their stuff. guess some people may have have been relying on the monthly update to do what they should have done themselves - junk their gear and/or retire, but now we know the code isn't going to strip them either. at least not in a timely fashion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:17 pm 
Mortal

Why does a game of this size have item amount restrictions in the first place?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:37 pm 
Mortal

SK_Phantom wrote:

Since the best items in the game simply "appear," if there was no limit the game would quickly be flooded with the best gear. The other way to manage an economy is to require time to be invested into resource gathering and crafting, so that a top level item represents hours and hours of player investment.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:04 pm 

theDrifter wrote:
SK_Phantom wrote:

Since the best items in the game simply "appear," if there was no limit the game would quickly be flooded with the best gear. The other way to manage an economy is to require time to be invested into resource gathering and crafting, so that a top level item represents hours and hours of player investment.

The other way? End game content already requires huge time sinks.

Getting to the boss of an area, alone, is an hour even with a walk-through, and that's assuming your group holds together. If you wipe, you lose everything. If it is a new area or you don't have a guide, it's going to take even longer. Most of the areas are built with puzzles and mazes that are very challenging and difficult to take on.

Going through all that risk only to find that because one other person did so and has logged in once or twice in the past month, so you get no reward, is frustrating and not fun.

Subject: Berr, Ardent Defender of Taslamar - Justiciar

Edoras wrote:

The time constraints that Berr was going to start putting on me now that the PK aspect started picking up was basically going to mean that I was going to go inactive, or I was going to do a lousy job, and I'm really not interested in either. I was already less than enthused at the sheer amount of time required to go through the end-game PvE content, and after finishing the iron citadel with all the changes, I think this is a good time me to bow out.

So long and thanks for all the fish!

A top level item already represents hours of investment to get, hours to enchant, and hours to keep. Hours that have to come from more than one person in most cases. What more do you really think is appropriate, particularly considering we're losing players because people already think that's too much?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:43 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:

Alright, at least I'm not going nuts. The only thing I'd say is that it should probably be more aggressive with magical devices. Sanctuary staves, for example, are -extremely- valuable, yet my character held onto one for a month despite logging virtually zero hours.