Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Voodoo and MR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:37 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Airkli
While a shaman and MR barb are standing in the same room, a voodoo spell targeted at the MR barb will heal him/her if successfully resisted. However, once the MR barb is a room away, the healing effect no longer applies, despite the spell being resisted all the same.

Seems like a bug. If it heals in one scenario, it should heal in both. All other ranged spells (from limited testing) will heal an MR barb. Flamestrike, magic missile, lightning bolt, etc.

Post subject: Re: Voodoo and MR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:44 pm 
Mortal

Seems like a bug.

I think it has something to do with voodoo being a world targeting spell that prevents the MR barb from getting healed. This makes me wonder if summon heals a barb in this same scenario

Maybe its to prevent barbs from having shamans on standby to voodoo for insta-heal. Because when a shaman unloads his mana, it should heal a MR barb massively.

Gives it a interesting dynamic in the relationship between MR barb and a shaman. Because they are supposed to be synergistic in the way they operate RP wise

The most important question is.... should world-targeting spells heal barbs?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:12 am 
Mortal

BAI7l7 wrote:
Because when a shaman unloads his mana, it should heal a MR barb massively.

Voodoo was changed, it's no longer a total mana pool unload that equates to overall damage dealt. Casting time has also been decreased. Doesn't cause paralysis. Doesn't reveal the casters location.

Last edited by archaicsmurf on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:24 am 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
I think there was a time that attempted summons (maybe gate too?) on a MR character would heal them. I believe that was changed in order to bypass the cheater distance-healing that provided. Perhaps the voodoo mechanics are being affected by whatever fix was implemented to correct that?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:00 am 
Mortal

Yed wrote:
I think there was a time that attempted summons (maybe gate too?) on a MR character would heal them. I believe that was changed in order to bypass the cheater distance-healing that provided. Perhaps the voodoo mechanics are being affected by whatever fix was implemented to correct that?

You're probably right, but why is that "cheater"? Sounds to me like tactics and roleplay colliding, if one can make it work successfully. Of all the drawbacks to playing a fully MR barb, I don't think voodoo/summon healing breaks the game. The devotion spell is conceptually very similar, with a dude in some far off corner influencing the outcome of melee combat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:23 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
archaicsmurf wrote:
You're probably right, but why is that "cheater"? Sounds to me like tactics and roleplay colliding, if one can make it work successfully. Of all the drawbacks to playing a fully MR barb, I don't think voodoo/summon healing breaks the game. The devotion spell is conceptually very similar, with a dude in some far off corner influencing the outcome of melee combat.

I use the term "cheater" very loosely above (maybe "cheap" is more accurate). Personally I don't really have a problem with it either, if the amount of healing provided is 'reasonable'. To me it just seemed like smart tictacs, though I understand why some people believed and argued otherwise.

The comparison to the devotion spell has legs, but there's a pretty big difference too, in that the holder of the devotion spell can ultimately be killed along with the target of the spell, if too great of damage is inflicted. So even that dude in some far off corner is at some amount of risk in that corner. The summon-healer in this case faces no risks of any kind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:38 pm 
Immortal

For a target to heal from a resisted spell, the target and caster have to be in the same area. This goes for any spell. "One room away" may or may not fit this criterion. Voodoo has not been changed in a long time. When voodoo is resisted, it does not deplete and paralyze the shaman or reveal the shaman's location. If you went one room away and were still in the same area and still did not heal from a voodoo spell, please send a log to Dulrik. If you were in different areas, please try again and see what the result is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 am 
Mortal Philanthropist

SK Character: Imolth
Can we just go ahead and remove the spell altogether? It serves NO purpose whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:17 pm 
Mortal

Replace it with enrage.

Quote:
[Skills help] enrage

Syntax: cast enrage <target>

The ability to enrage is castable only on barbarians. A shaman's close
relationship to a barbarian allows the shaman to focus the spirits into a
barbarian as a medium. By channeling the ancestral wrath of the spirits, it
blesses the spirit warrior with fury. Enrage works in conjunction with frenzy
to mimic the same effects of berserk/fury. While enraged, a barbarian's arms
becomes a blur as he swings his weapon at seemingly impossible speeds. Much
like fury, the barbarian is locked into this spiritual rage. This special
protection from the spirits allows the barbarian to shrug off spells that
target his willpower or fortitude. Due to the symbiotic relationship with a
barbarian and their peak physical physique, enrage even works on those spirit
warriors that are completely immune to magic.

See also: frenzy fury berserk