Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:31 pm 
Mortal

Rennus_Dragonsbane wrote:
Case in point, your coin script could be defined as illegal because if you were to be sitting in the wilderness
and a random NPC were to attack you, you kill it, and it gives you gold, "put all.gold" into your container
changed the amount of time it would take you to void out. Also a suspecting IMM might echo:
"Your share is " or "You keep it all" just to test you.
I would certainly imagine it is illegal, but that doesn't seem to be a good reason to not use such a script if it proves to be a boon to player enjoyment. After all, the point of disallowing mechanical triggers is to prevent any gross abuse that would give a player an advantage over any other player, not for the Immortals to have fun leaping out of a bush shouting "GOTCHA".

So the real question, in my mind, is whether or not it actually affords you any kind of notable mechanical advantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:20 am 
Webadmin

SK Character: Viltrax
We as rule enforcers are not going to get into guessing games about which commands are 'acceptable' for being sent to the MUD automatically, and which ones aren't.

As noted by Rennus above, this particular example sends commands to the game without user input - that's botting as defined in the rules, and your character will be deleted when caught.

A safer approach albiet more complex in the client would be:

1. Have the trigger text simply set a flag when it sees you pick up coin
2. Configure a few common aliases in your client to also call a 'moneybag' alias
3. The moneybag alias can check the flag set in step (1) and - if it has been set - puts all coin into your bag and resets the flag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:48 am 
Mortal

Alshain wrote:
We as rule enforcers are not going to get into guessing games about which commands are 'acceptable' for being sent to the MUD automatically, and which ones aren't.
Please don't get me wrong, since I now know that such a trigger would be illegal I am not recommending anyone to use such a trigger. I'm only theorizing that such a trigger would likely have very little risk of causing a disruption that would subsequently draw an Immortals attention. While I cannot speak for the hobbies of any individual Immortal, I imagine most do not have the inclination to randomly test various echoes to try and determine the existence of unknown triggers that no player has complained about.

Unless, of course, there exists a way to read the triggers of a player's client directly to determine guilt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:31 am 
Webadmin

I'm not going to spell out all the advantages of this command (or any others that are offered as being 'not realy a gross advantage'), but suffice to say there are always advantages.

Asking that you are simply at the keyboard responding to game events yourself, we are aiming for fairest method of a level playing field. To imply some commands are acceptable in any way only leads to complaints.

There are many ways to detect botting. Whilst we've been running since 1996, MUDs as a gaming genre have been around for many decades more. Please don't create any false expectations that 'some' triggers are harmless or worth the risk of deletion. It is our much more preferred approach to have players that enjoy their characters, not players who end up leaving the game in a huff when we are forced to delete them for cheating.

Best for everyone to just play fair, hmm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:14 pm 
Mortal

bump for needs new sticky :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:00 pm 
Mortal

grep wrote:
bump for needs new sticky :P

Ditto.

sleeps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:59 pm 
Webadmin

Sticky removed on purpose, since:

1. Posts in this forum are not pruned. Code never dies. ;)

2. In theory, each zmud-related code snippet would be in its own thread in this forum: 22+ pages is a bit to wade through if you just want to find one feature example.

3. Happy to have the popularity of this thread ebb and flow with all the others.

A couple of stickies I might make are probably policy statements (triggers that send commands are not legal) + a summary list of all client software that we know about (title/url/desc/operating system)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:18 am 
Mortal

Viltrax wrote:
A couple of stickies I might make are probably policy statements (triggers that send commands are not legal) + a summary list of all client software that we know about (title/url/desc/operating system)

Triggers that send commands without associable user input, you mean?

This is totally my crusade item here, so, I'm going to make sure it doesn't get deviled in the details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:08 pm 
Webadmin

grep wrote:
Triggers that send commands without associable user input, you mean?

Perhaps I can reword what you're describing that helps clarify what we both mean:

A trigger can build the command, if user action is needed in order to send it. The trigger itself is not sending command(s).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:09 pm 
Mortal

I can live with that. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next