Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:04 pm 
Mortal

WickedWitch wrote:
ninja_ardith wrote:
Syn does not have the skill or expertise that certain players of the playerbase do with computers and programming to fully automate a character like Ruud or Sithara have.

I still want a trigger to highlight bashes/trips/etc. :cry:

That isn't a trigger, it's a gag and echo, unless Zmud has changed where it'll now color different messages sent to your client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:19 pm 
Mortal

I get to teach Syn how to use a gag?

The wheel certainly turns, now doesn't it?

Oh, frabjous day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:02 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Cyndane - Talys
-_-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:10 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: Achernar
We have never before differentiated the use of a trigger from a bot. Several members of the staff including myself saw this as something less. The player's own public admission of the trigger led someone else to pass it along to me. I will not stand by idly while players brag about breaking rules. Syndal was more than understanding and willing to accept the punishment I gave when I quoted her post. Syndal could have avoided punishment by not posting logs or public admissions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:34 pm 

Achernar wrote:
We have never before differentiated the use of a trigger from a bot.

Yes, you have. Several of the auto commands are just the same as triggers thanks, and they are built into the game. Plus basic triggers that occasionally automated stultifying tasks have always been allowed before now. There is a difference between using a trigger now and again, and botting where you're not at the keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:48 pm 
Mortal

I'm going to only say this once more before I lose my ability to be polite about it.

A trigger, in and of itself, is not illegal. A trigger is a client-side function that is executed when the client detects some matching information from the MUD.

A trigger's function can include sending information back to the MUD if so programmed.

Triggers that send information to the MUD without an identifiable first cause of player input are categorically denied and have a clearly defined zero tolerance policy.

The problem here is that the term "trigger" is used by those who aren't well versed in the magical ways of programming to refer to what is, in fact, but one of the many potential things a trigger can do.

Perhaps it would be more easily understood if you were to use the words "the automated sending of data from a client to the MUD" whenever you think the word "trigger" as you seem to presently.

The automatic sending of data from a client to the MUD with an identifiable first cause of MUD data instead of player input can get you deleted when you're caught no matter what your excuse is. I say when, not if, for a reason.

Auto loot is not a banned trigger because auto loot is not an automated sending of data from a client to the MUD.

Get it?

Ugh.

There are so many wonderful things you can do without having to whine about losing easy mode. Please, for the love of all that is holy, stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:48 am 
Immortal

serith wrote:
Achernar wrote:
We have never before differentiated the use of a trigger from a bot.

Yes, you have. Several of the auto commands are just the same as triggers thanks, and they are built into the game. Plus basic triggers that occasionally automated stultifying tasks have always been allowed before now. There is a difference between using a trigger now and again, and botting where you're not at the keyboard.

I think what you're missing is that the use of triggers to send data to the mud is illegal. Now and again or full on botting, if your client sends data when you're not sending the command by some action of your own, this is against the rules. We've never been in a position to catch someone using a butcher trigger. However a player bragged about the use of triggers. This called for punishment. Do others use them every day without getting deleted or penalized? I believe so. Does that make it allowable? No. Why did Syndal get caught? She posted the following line somewhere where a player could see it:

Syndal's post on that log site wrote:
rofl at my butcher trigger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:55 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Cyndane - Talys
Uh, Achernar, you just opened a whole new [REDACTED] can of worms, if you're going to punish people based on comments from other websites.

Do we really want to go there? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:23 am 
Immortal

Peer pressure can do wonderful things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:00 am 
Mortal

Didn't know you had any peers. I had the impression that you were better than us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next