Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: ZMud/CMud Starting Icon Setup
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:30 pm 
Implementor

Intro: I have arranged with Zuggsoft to have Shattered Kingdoms displayed as one of the 10 starting icons for everyone who newly downloads CMud or Zmud throughout the next year. (Don't run out and immediately download it. The yearly period won't start until at least April.)

What I'm asking from expert Zmud/Cmud users on this thread is information that will enable us to optimize the SK experience whenever a user clicks the icon. For background, read the following:

Zuggsoft wrote:
Icon Details
Each icon is limited to 32 x 32 pixels and 256 colors. Actually, you only get 240 colors since 16 colors are reserved for the standard Windows color palette. Icons can be sent in either BMP, GIF, or JPG formats. Animated GIF images are NOT supported.

The text file that accompanies the icon can be any length. The text file will be word-wrapped to fit into the display panel in zMUD and CMUD.

In addition to the icon and text file, you can also provide the default *.MUD settings file for zMUD, or the *.PKG package file for CMUD. This is the settings file that contains the starting triggers, aliases, macros, etc. For example, you could pre-define a MUD screen that already has graphical gauges for hp, mana, etc, as well as a graphical compass that players can click on to move them in various directions on the MUD. If you send a *.MUD file for zMUD, this same file will be used by CMUD and automatically converted into the new package format.

Finally, you can also provide the *.ZFG mapper configuration file. This file is used to configure the zMUD/CMUD automapper so that the player doesn't have to mess with it themselves. If you support the automapper and want to help new players get started, providing the ZFG configuration file is a great way to help.

So we need the following things:
  • Icon - I have several candidates already but I may accept submissions.
  • Text file - Not for discussion here. There is another thread for this.
  • Mapper configuration file - This is what I want from this thread.
  • Settings/package file - This is also what I want from this thread.

This is a big chance to really make SK the default choice of a large population of MUD players. I'd like to hear lots of suggestions for what to include in the mapper and settings files. As someone who rarely uses Zmud myself, I barely have an idea of what is possible. If you have lots of customizations that you find really helpful for playing the game, PLEASE post them here.

Also if you are a veteran Zmud/Cmud user and want to volunteer to either integrate or just test out these settings files, please send me a private message.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to the results of this initiative.

Post subject: Re: ZMud/CMud Starting Icon Setup
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:23 am 
Mortal

You need Finney for this, he was a Zmud coding genius.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:25 am 
Implementor

If anyone knows how to contact Finney, please let him know that I'd like his assistance.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:31 pm 
Mortal

only posting in gd from now - thx and have a nice day

Last edited by FinneyOwnzU on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:52 pm 
Implementor

Thanks, Finney. I greatly appreciate it.

One update: The timing is much sooner than I had originally thought. I'm being requested to have the first version of the files ready by the beginning of the month. However, I am also told that they can be upgraded at any time because they are hosted on Zugg's server. So the ideal solution would be to start with something that is a step up from the default and we can continue to tweak it.

There hasn't been much response to this thread so far. I would HIGHLY encourage anyone reading this that even nominally uses ZMud or CMud to please assist Finney by either offering suggestions or testing. This is without a doubt the largest opportunity to attract NEW players to the game that we have ever had and I've been a bit disappointed by the apparent lack of interest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:00 pm 
Mortal

I poked in this thread, and I probably could have gotten an icon designed, but I don't know anything about the mapping crap, I probably don't even care since I don't even use zmud, or cmud.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:02 pm 
Mortal

Last edited by FinneyOwnzU on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:40 pm 
Mortal

Last edited by FinneyOwnzU on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:42 pm 
Implementor

Does Zmud still default the color setup as green text on black background? Can we have it default to SK's standard grey text on black?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:46 pm 
Mortal

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next