Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: REMINDER: Botting is illegal
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:38 pm 
Mortal

amandagreathouse wrote:
grep wrote:
There's a zero tolerance policy on having anything sent to the MUD that cannot be associated with you, the human, pressing button(s) on your keyboard. If you get up and walk away from your computer, your character is expected to "void out" the same as any other inactive character. That is, in fact, one of the examples given for illegal triggers.

The rules are pretty clear on that.

amandagreathouse wrote:
And if you were always responsive within minutes of someone trying to talk to/interact with you? Because I'm not talking about something where you just stay logged in indefinitely while afk, if that were to ever happen, it would pretty much HAVE to be an accident. I'm talking about being nonresponsive for 10-15 minutes while leaving to have a smoke/possibly being sidetracked to talk for a minute on the way back in.

amandagreathouse wrote:
If I can't even go out to smoke a cigarette without worrying about a character being deleted, and wind up being deleted for that, I will likely quit playing, because I have 0 desire to be chained to my computer to the point of not being able to have one in order to play a game. Maybe the auto logout should take 5-10 minutes longer.

If I get deleted, I get deleted. I type time at least that often while I'm at the computer, and there are times where I don't enter anything else for just as long while still there. If I get a character deleted, that'll be that, and I'll move on to a different mud. I'm a lot more addicted to cigarettes than I am SK.

We all run into rules that don't make sense to us, but I try to find the perspectives by which they make sense to their enforcers. Often enough, I wind up finding out I didn't know as much about things as I had supposed, and I find I can grow from the exercise and come to appreciate other things and people more.

When I say it's against the rules, I base it on a tradition of posts in the forums and arguments I believe are archived in this very thread. I'm still just a regular user calling it as best as I can see it, though, and that might not be perfectly or even correctly.

When in doubt about rules, e-mail an immortal. You can use the wizlist command in-game or check the immortal contacts stickies for who the best person to reach would be.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:38 pm 
Mortal

only posting in gd from now - thx and have a nice day

Last edited by FinneyOwnzU on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:45 pm 
Mortal

This is not intended as a flame, but I'll also put out there that while cigarettes have been proven to potentially cause cancer and other health risks, SK has not been proven to have any negative consequences. It might be better for you and for us if you favored taking shorter or fewer smoke breaks. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:59 pm 
Mortal

amandagreathouse wrote:
Would something that affects nothing but logouts reasonably count here? I have to go outside to smoke, and am often in a position to wind up gone 'just' past long enough to disconnect, but with the thief/dehoarding code, I don't want to disconnect unintentionally, so every 5-8 minutes, my client sends 'time' so I don't disconnect from happening to be afk 2-3 minutes too long to stay connected and wind up losing equipment over it. Since it is something which does not affect anything but keeps me from accidental logouts, would this be considered acceptable?

This is an illegal trigger, and a terrible idea. While you are not at the keys someone can PK your character, and junk all of your loot.

Finney already outlined the two things you can do, but I only consider the logging out option to be the correct option. If you're not at the keys you cannot stop someone from curb stomping your character.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:15 pm 
Implementor

I also recommend the logout option. I don't see any reason why you would want to stay logged on while not at the keyboard. The risk of being ganked is real.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:27 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
I don't see any reason why you would want to stay logged on while not at the keyboard.

Frankly: The dehoarding code. The setting prevents me from being able to even wear a matched set of dropped armor. Anytime I go to log out, I risk logging back in topless in the middle of an inn, and that is not only embarrassing, it's unrealistic. I would much rather risk being ganked than wind up topless because of a code snippet that didn't tell me when I put on found armor that I could log in and have half my character's clothes gone. I totally understand logging out when you're ready to stop playing, but being afraid to go afk for the time it takes to have a cigarette... especially when logging out for that five minutes can mean coming back majorly unclothed in a public place, I do not get. I killed the 'time' timer, but I still don't get it, and would massively prefer that the void-out was 5 minutes longer, or 10 minutes, or that, even, when you picked up armor that had the thief script on it (flag, whatever the code snippet is), that it would give you a message like it does when you go to buy something that has it on there, because it was super embarrassing to meet the leader of a group my pc hoped to join for the first time topless because the clothes were literally stolen right off her back. That was, frankly, the entire reason that I put the timer on there, because I wanted to prevent the risk of being stripped unintentionally when I had no intention of actually not playing but was called afk for a few minutes (which actually happens often here, living with 3 other people).

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:36 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Returning from the void does not count as logging back in. In fact, "the void" is a place on SK, a room where your character goes when you idle. When you "return" from it, you wind up in the same place you were, with all of your equipment in tact, unless you have idled long enough to force a log out.

If you're just leaving for a smoke, you should be fine if idling is really the path you wish to take.

Also, there are ways to ensure that you don't wind up naked randomly; ask around IC about determining which items your character can reasonably expect to keep.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:31 pm 
Implementor

What Meissa said. I think it will solve your concerns.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:20 pm 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
What Meissa said. I think it will solve your concerns.

I may just stop playing. I can appreciate what was being attempted, but it's unreasonable that the clothes can be, and are, taken right off your back. I've played 70 hours, 65 of which, easily have been outside any kind of safe room, and after spending almost 4 hours last night trying to get the coin for a set of robes, and picking up a hat from a dead NPC, within an hour of which it was 4 am and my time to log out, I come back and both items are gone. If a complete set of clothes is considered hoarding, and more than 60 hours in less than a month is not long enough time to justify keeping the clothes on your back (all but 2 items of which, beside a commonly bought jewelry item can be picked straight off a NPC you kill in seemingly well known places), I don't know that I'm playing this game right, or else I just can't deal. I appreciate how fun it is to go out adventuring with others, and the enjoyment of RP with other players, but I'm tired of losing things like this. The first time, it was 3 seperate items of bakemono black and red armor which is hardly difficult to find. NPCs pop with it all day long 3 steps from nerina, but damned if it didn't leave my pc without sleeves, vest, and I believe even leggings on logging back in, only to wind up seeing Someone Important within 5 minutes because for some reason all her clothes were stolen right in the middle of an Inn, off her back, with no chance to even try and stop it. I like the setting and a lot about the world, but this is unbelievably disheartening and frustrating beyond words. If I don't log back in: The dehoarding code not even letting you keep the clothes on your back is why the newbie left. By all means, take things that are being HOARDED in containers, but the clothes right off your back? What possible sense does it even make, and with items that are readily available on NPCs, every one of them but 1 that has ever disappeared has been straight off of constantly repopping NPCs.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:28 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Rolf
This is really disappointing to read. What happened to you was not so much a part of the hording code as it was (more likely) that the items you picked up were higher level than your character.

It might be a better idea for pretty much all items (almost all) have no level cap so that anyone with the required hours can keep it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next