Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: REMINDER: Botting is illegal
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:04 pm 
Mortal

Opey wrote:
This is really disappointing to read. What happened to you was not so much a part of the hording code as it was (more likely) that the items you picked up were higher level than your character.

It might be a better idea for pretty much all items (almost all) have no level cap so that anyone with the required hours can keep it.

I was under the impression that that was the case, and in the case of all the items in question, my pc acquired them herself, without need of help to do so off said NPCs, so clearly they are accessible to someone of that level if they go kill the NPCs with the items. Sorry I just... I'm in a horrible mood, my day has been bad, and I hope I'm not coming across as needlessly bitchy or unappreciative. I have a lot of appreciation for the amount of time and effort it takes to build areas, especially good areas, as a former staff member of another mud, you know? It's not even about lack of gratitude or appreciation, it's simple frustration (when combined with a bad mood and a bit of physical pain).

Sorry to derail the thread so heavily.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:05 pm 
Mortal

only posting in gd from now - thx and have a nice day

Last edited by FinneyOwnzU on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:12 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
FinneyOwnzU wrote:
It might be helpful if the messages were different.

I like this suggestion. Good post, Finney.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:58 pm 
Mortal

FinneyOwnzU wrote:
amandagreathouse wrote:

Frankly: The dehoarding code. The setting prevents me from being able to even wear a matched set of dropped armor. Anytime I go to log out, I risk logging back in topless in the middle of an inn, and that is not only embarrassing, it's unrealistic. I would much rather risk being ganked than wind up topless because of a code snippet that didn't tell me when I put on found armor that I could log in and have half my character's clothes gone. I totally understand logging out when you're ready to stop playing, but being afraid to go afk for the time it takes to have a cigarette... especially when logging out for that five minutes can mean coming back majorly unclothed in a public place, I do not get. I killed the 'time' timer, but I still don't get it, and would massively prefer that the void-out was 5 minutes longer, or 10 minutes, or that, even, when you picked up armor that had the thief script on it (flag, whatever the code snippet is), that it would give you a message like it does when you go to buy something that has it on there, because it was super embarrassing to meet the leader of a group my pc hoped to join for the first time topless because the clothes were literally stolen right off her back. That was, frankly, the entire reason that I put the timer on there, because I wanted to prevent the risk of being stripped unintentionally when I had no intention of actually not playing but was called afk for a few minutes (which actually happens often here, living with 3 other people).

You are conflating two different parts of the code, which from a new player's perspective probably seem the same. The anti-hoarding code prevents you from carrying more than six extra weapons or pieces of armor. All equipment is also assigned an item level, which can be learned via identify, and if the item is higher level than your character - there is a chance for it to be stolen when you log out. The message your character receives when an item is stolen by thieves because it was higher level than your character is identical to the message when you lose items due to hoarding. It might be helpful if the messages were different.

As for idling, it takes more than ten or even fifteen minutes of inactivity for a character to be auto logged out of the game. It is more like twenty minutes, so you are stepping away from your computer for longer than you realize. It happens in stages: your character will get sent to the void first and then after another period of inactivity the game will log you out.

Generally, you stop losing items to thieves once you reach master status (with a few rare exceptions). You can still lose items to the anti-hoarding code, if you carry too many extra weapons or pieces of armor, though. However, it will not be any armor or weapons that are worn/wielded by the character.

A lot of the "issues" you are experiencing can be remedied by continuing to play the game and level your character. If items didn't have some sort of level restriction, it would be quite easy for players to "game" the system by creating low level characters and using them as storage mules.

Thank you. That was both helpful and insightful. I didn't realize that it was the same message but for different things. I must have misunderstood the dehoarding thread.

Meissa wrote:
FinneyOwnzU wrote:
It might be helpful if the messages were different.

I like this suggestion. Good post, Finney.

This, too, would be helpful and for what it's worth, I agree.

Thank you guys for continuing to talk with me about this, because it brings to mind the knowledge that most of my issues are fixable by me. Much obliged. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:00 pm 
Mortal

While you're looking at things, check out http://www.shatteredkingdoms.org/faq

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:31 pm 
Implementor

It may be that there should just be a line when examining an item that says something like:

"You may not be able to protect this item from being stolen."

That way if you happen across random items, you can use them while playing and then sell them off before quitting.

Amanda, I really do appreciate your perspective and hope you keep playing. Much time is spent optimizing for obscure edge cases that veterans create when they bend systems that they know like the back of their hand. Not enough time keeping the true newbie in mind.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:43 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
I like it. How hard would that be to implement?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:44 pm 
Mortal

It's already in the stores. Maybe that could be recycled when you examine an item? Just piggyback it onto the desc output?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:58 pm 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
It may be that there should just be a line when examining an item that says something like:

"You may not be able to protect this item from being stolen."

That way if you happen across random items, you can use them while playing and then sell them off before quitting.

Amanda, I really do appreciate your perspective and hope you keep playing. Much time is spent optimizing for obscure edge cases that veterans create when they bend systems that they know like the back of their hand. Not enough time keeping the true newbie in mind.

Thank you for your politeness and working with me on all this. I've been mudding more than five years, but nearly all of it has been on an RPI with permadeath anytime a character dies, so SK is a new experience in a lot of ways to me, despite being pretty practiced at a lot of the more basic diku syntax.

I would personally appreciate it a great deal if something like that were added on examining an item, because I would be less likely (not likely) to count on it as my pc's basic armor. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:03 pm 
Mortal

The more I think about it, the more putting the item quality in the examine command would give a transparent solution that doesn't sour the taste of masked numbers.

>examine sword
A rather uninspired weapon violated the five-second rule nearby.
Troll's Virtue is a poor quality pigsticker made of meat and size tiny.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next