Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: REMINDER: Botting is illegal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:41 pm 
Immortal (Inactive)

SK Character: Sargas
As per help rules2, all botting is illegal. Using a trigger to keep you from voiding out is considered botting.

Code:
[Game help] rules (2 of 2)

This help file continued from rules1.

5.  NO BOTS --  Because Shattered Kingdoms is a roleplaying mud, this
naturally precludes the usage of client program features, such as triggers,
to automate your character to take or respond to an action or to prevent
yourself from being logged out.  You may use triggers to modify how info is
presented to you, such as to highlight or gag text, but if you aren't at the
keyboard, your character must void out in the same amount of time as normal.

Post subject: Re: REMINDER: Botting is illegal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:38 pm 
Mortal

8) I'm always there

Don

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:09 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Apparently, this needs to be rehashed. Triggers cannot take actions for your character. There are no exceptions. Opening doors, fleeing, auto-attacking, unvoiding or any such thing else executed via triggers will be punished by deletion.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Viltrax wrote:
1. Aliases merely expand one click or keystroke into multiple character commands, or even multiple commands. Too much of this and you end up risking the no-spam rule.

2. A trigger that merely highlights text or pops up a warning to the receiving player is harmless - I prefer to call these local 'alerts' as they don't send any commands back to the server.

3. Triggers cause commands to be entered without human intervention, usually based off text received from the MUD (i.e. when person X enters the room, immediately send a command to kill them). Just sitting in your chair in front of the screen does not make such triggers legal - you'll be deleted for botting (not 'lose a few levels').

Automating your character - whether it be levelling or for player-killing (PK) - is unfair to the rest of the playerbase that control their character directly and according to the rules. That is why I don't listen to excuses when I find a player gained 3 levels while away watching a movie compared to someone else who was personally interacting with the game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:15 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
Trigger question. Is a trigger to alter the value of an alias OK. For example backstab X. Trigger to read V1= &1 is behind your victim. Saving the value into a switchstab alias backstab V1.
My gut feeling is a trigger that on a failed backstab because someone is behind reentered backstab with a new person who is behind them would be against the rules. However a trigger to save their name as a value for me to enter in a new backstab command which is always the same seems OK. The main reason I ask is because then spam of backstab followed by the alias switchstab would then be the next question of legality. This value could also be used for circle stab and hamstring.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:24 pm 
Mortal

Cordance wrote:
Trigger question. Is a trigger to alter the value of an alias OK. For example backstab X. Trigger to read V1= &1 is behind your victim. Saving the value into a switchstab alias backstab V1.
My gut feeling is a trigger that on a failed backstab because someone is behind reentered backstab with a new person who is behind them would be against the rules. However a trigger to save their name as a value for me to enter in a new backstab command which is always the same seems OK. The main reason I ask is because then spam of backstab followed by the alias switchstab would then be the next question of legality. This value could also be used for circle stab and hamstring.

Do you have an illegal script? Here's the test: walk away from your computer. Does your session time out? Good job, you don't have any character automation.

By their definitions, so long as no string of data is sent to the MUD without originating keystrokes on your computer, you are not botting. Information management, state awareness, even prediction are all well and fine if and only if you do not cause data sent to the MUD without your provocation. Think of it like plugins for WoW: you can do a lot, but you cannot send input without getting it. For example, the group info plugin I made for MUSHClient can detect your group health, select the most hurt group member, and cast the appropriate curative spell on that member automatically... so long as you, the human, click the "heal" button or enter the "triage" alias.

Here's the area that's tricky: suppose you are practicing spells on a character. You want to cast as many spells as you can without spamming. Given one "practice" alias, would you rather:

1) Send a cast command to the mud until you are below a certain amount of mana, then sleep
2) Send a cast command to the mud until a tick is imminent, then sleep
3) Send a cast command to the mud and release it if you succeed
4) Send a cast command to the mud each time you utter the words of the previous spell

One of these is absolutely illegal according to the definitions. Can you tell which one, and why?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:05 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Cordance wrote:

This problem is nonexistent with the backstab behind command which was hard coded into the game a number of months ago. It will automatically strike whatever is behind your target, and if nothing is, then it will hit your target. There is no need to use a trigger at all. The same command alteration works for circle and hamstring.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:09 pm 
Implementor

grep wrote:
Do you have an illegal script? Here's the test: walk away from your computer. Does your session time out? Good job, you don't have any character automation.

This is wrong, because it is insufficient. Any trigger at all that sends anything to the game is illegal. If this definition were true, you could create a bot that would react to things in the game without any input, yet still time out. So: totally wrong.

Grep, there have been several times now on the forums where you have attempted to answer a rules question and answered wrongly. You should probably leave these types of questions for an admin to handle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:13 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
Well this is true OA, it doesnt let you then extend it into a recite and dirt kicking alias. Also if I was to make an assisting range combat alias, re focus after a rescue/tumble. The question was with a simple example to get a simple answer to extend into more complex but practical identical trigger/macro combinations. Which I think should be legal but I figure Im better asking before doing when it comes to such matters.

Given what I read in Messas post, greps reply all of the 4 triggers he said for spell training are against the rules. Where the triage example is legal. Just looking for assurances my line in the sand is in the right place or at least on the safe side of the Imm line.

And well tying my reply D has already trumped me.

(edit) To re clarify my question. Is it OK to use triggers to glean information for which to respond in an alias. With knowledge it is against the rules to use a trigger to glean the same information then act on it in the trigger. As per my example above in the backstab question only with other more complex alias.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:25 pm 
Implementor

If your trigger is changing the alias for you, then that would be illegal. Client side triggers should be limited to highlighting information or presenting it in alternate windows (if desired).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:30 pm 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
If your trigger is changing the alias for you, then that would be illegal. Client side triggers should be limited to highlighting information or presenting it in alternate windows (if desired).

I think you need to rewrite your entire guidelines on this then, because I'm pretty sure only a selective reading of anything previously available leads to that conclusion.