Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Attack Types - Help Required
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:27 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
Considering the cost is time not money as non of us are going to make cash from the solution your triangle becomes a X Y graph. However as you have stated things become a memory strain I have a few ideas which it might be possible to add to the system to make it less perfect but more practical. Mostly to do with scripting to open and close classes of weapon information. So the combat starts you have say some normal combat attacks on condensed mode. Then you have a few likely messages from non normal attack modes, when one of your non normal attack mode messages is triggered it activates the class to turn that weapon into condense mode. Then you have a reset message you can put in something like sleep or rest message to reset your non normal attack classes back to condensed. Yes there will be lag however compare the computer lag vs the lag of you reading 15 lines of text. Either way Id like to look at the code and see if I cant improve it. This does not seem like a brute force solve able problem however I think there are enough tricks to make it a workable one. Hence why I would like to look at the code and see if it uses all the tricks I can see being used in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:12 am 
Mortal

Each round of combat in SK takes about three seconds. The first ~150 milliseconds of that are when the base attacks are evaluated. You have 2.85 seconds to check and evaluate combat action. Because you don't even get an /^Overall, [A-Za-z ']+ (has|is) .+.$/ at the end of each base attack evaluation, you must check every single line of MUD output and hope you can use the prompt to know when each iteration of output actually divides. From there, you have to look at every single line. I mean, just suppose a spot of lag drops the semicolon from the ANSI character control sequence ^[0;0m. Suppose your character is blinded. You won't even know to display combat messages until you're sure combat is actually happening, and in order to do that...

Doing it right is just not feasible on the client end. Trust me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:41 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Toji
Not to mention that if you're even slightly edgy and press enter every now and then, you'll be messing up the line output in zmud, thus further messing up your parsing.