Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Does existence merit respect?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:06 pm 
Mortal

Gann said,

Quote:
I disagree, but this thread isn't really the correct place to hash out whether the mere act of existence merits respect.

Existence does not merit respect.

The perception of the problem of evil is due to the unfounded assumption that human beings have any innate moral value or cosmic relevance. I have yet to hear any rational argument to sustain this assumption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil

Discuss.

Post subject: Re: Does existence merit respect?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:09 pm 
Mortal

For better or worse, religion is a prohibited topic in the Bazaar. I'd think that applies to a "problem of evil" discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:43 pm 
Mortal

You should get a job for the BBC. Self-censorship is totally 'in' right now.

I hope that no one construes that as an offensive political statement.

We have not, so far, stooped to 'religion' and the 'you are hurting my feelings' argument which inevitably follows and shuts down all conversation with buckets of QQ from someone who fails to rationally argue their culture-specific version of mythology really happened.

We are just discussing a basic 'philosophical' idea- the existence of good and evil.

I will begin with an argument.

People, and by extension their feelings, have no objective value. Valuations are subjective, and my consideration of other peoples' feelings as worthless is just as baseless as is the majority's opinion that the majority's feelings are important.

Value is subjective, everyone is worthless. Discuss.

Last edited by Lumiere on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:42 pm 
Mortal

It's hard to argue the "problem of evil" isn't a religious topic, when there's no problem if there is no God. Just look at the wiki you quoted.

I'm not seeing the point of this game. This isn't a rule I'm fond of either, but setting up an uncivil thread ("stooped to 'religion'") is only going to validate the rule in the eyes of the staff. Or if the goal is to get reported, I'm not seeing the payoff. Is it really better to be kicked out of a disdained community than to voluntarily leave it behind?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:14 pm 
Mortal

There's also no problem if there's no good or evil as applied to humans.

I didn't mean to imply that religion itself was 'stooping', I meant that religion + the 'you are hurting my feelings by disagreeing with my religion' argument was a form of stooping- which it is.

Yes, getting kicked out is better than voluntarily leaving.

Anyway, let's prove the imms wrong, in their own eyes, by having a respectful, profound philosophical discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:04 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Rolf
:roll:

No thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:45 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
If your two main points are that A) existence does not merit respect, and B) that human beings have no innate moral value, then I disagree on both counts, for one reason.

I believe that human beings have innate value.

As such, whenever I treat a human being with complete disregard or disdain, I believe that is wrong. I still do from time to time, especially when I disagree with something they do.

As for this thread, I don't think it has a place here, given that the Bazaar isn't supposed to be a place for religion or politics to be discussed, and given that in your OP you felt the need to reference a wiki article which describes itself as "Part of the series on GOD" to get your point across, the fate of this thread seems predetermined. This isn't the place for debate as to whether people should be treated with respect; The new forum rules aptly communicate the rules of this community in that regard very clearly.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]