Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What's your reason?
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:35 am 
Mortal

15 years ago or so when SK first came out, playing on MUDs on the internet was a huge thing. Graphics in games were poor and multi-player connections were difficult to set up and dropped often. MUDs were the way to play for anyone who loved role-playing with lots of other people in a fantasy world. Fast-forward to the present though, games like World of Warcraft are all the rage utilizing lightning speed internet and a lot stronger processors to power their world for thousands and probably millions of players connecting together.

So that being said, what is your reason for still preferring to play a text-based MUD like SK versus a graphic-based game like WoW?

My reasons: Personally, I like reading the story that unfolds because it's like an amazing (and never-ending?) novel that unfolds before my eyes; and like a good book, the places and the characters, the heroes and the villains are all seen by how my mind's eye paints them. Furthermore, I feel much more in-character in this game with the ability to do any action or say anything that my character wants to say versus the pre-scripted animations or dialogue that graphics-based games tend to force on players.

Anyway, those are my reasons for preferring text-based role-playing versus graphics-based games. What's your reason?

Post subject: Re: What's your reason?
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:14 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Gailehn, Stephanov
Right? There've been graphical games out there with some semblence of open-gaming/open-story/story-development but the majority of my experience has been limited role-play and not the level of character growth and plot development as I've seen here. Some of that has to do with staff commitment to finding the right balance of interaction/building. Sometimes they do it or the players, sometimes in spite of us for larger arcs they may be committed to (for both better and worse). I've seen an incredible amount of diversity in characters in the past three years, and the kind of story line/character this brings to the game. The conflict can be intense, and sometimes people take things too personally - and this would be the big negative aspect of the game. But seriously - if people are THAT passionate about the game in the first place, that is something.

3 years? Ah crap, this elf is getting OLD.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:12 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
I was shown Sk in 8th grade. Back then, I tried it because a friend told me to. The grind killed me and I didn't understand how awesome the RP could be.
I stopped through highschool and most of college.
There came a time when I was rather poor. My dog chewed up my Xbox power cable. I was bored and had no money.
I remembered that SK was a free game, so I figured I'd try it again.
The level of roleplay that I found when I got here was something I hadn't experienced before. Adrastea got me into war faith and MC and those were things I never thought I'd do.
The characters that I come across are so unique and each bring something else to the table.
Whenever I try to explain to people how open sk is, I tell them that "you could make your character a common street rat or they could be the son of the Emperor. It just depends on what you want to do with them."

So the RP aspect is always appealing.
After getting pk'd a few times, it made me want to get better at that so I could eventually seek vengeance upon those who jlooted me. (still working on that)
Then there is the PVE which is just constant learning. Adding more and more knowledge about the game. Learning the world around you. That's motivating to me.

In short, I play to improve. And the variety of RP is appealing.

That was a bit of a ramble. But they are why I play.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:02 pm 
Mortal

One reason I play because it is the only game I can role-play seriously in. I play other games. I played WoW/Swtor/Aion, and in every game there is the capacity to roleplay and even dedicated RP servers, however there is no depth, choice, or any real difference in how your character interacts with the world.
I also play SK in part due to the constantly evolving character. In a book, the story is set and the character's qualities pre-determined by a manufactured plot line, in an MMO the world will not change. In SK it may not be likely, but it is possible.

In Shattered Kingdoms I am bound by the reality and capabilities of my character, I learned to roleplay within that character's (and my own) skill and create a diverse and engaging story. (no god-mod RP I see on so many original character concepts outside of SK [sometimes even in]) It was an early lesson to not roleplay like a badass unless I can back it up. Integrating this into my character concepts has immensely improved my game experience.

Oh, and this is one of maybe two games that actually gets my heart beat going faster during PK.
There is a variety of other characteristics. The harsh and unforgiving environment. EQ being able to get taken. There not technically being any place that is "safe" - one is almost always subject to the possibility of an ambush no matter how well hidden or fortified. In depth and expansive zones and unique quest lines. Lore integrated to those areas and quest lines. Diverse and diametric pantheon. Encouraged conflict through rp (admittedly sometimes this is lacking, but it can still be found).

The list goes on.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:06 pm 
Mortal

I just LOVE reading this list as I see in this group so many of my own sentiments about MUD role-playing in general and what I am finding to be true here in particular. Quite honestly, I think this thread should be used as a list of 'testimonials' on the main webpage. Now THAT would attract more newbies IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:54 pm 
Gold Donor

I have a story somewhat similar to Trosis, although mine started in grade 11.

A friend of mine got me to try it. I sucked and didn't have the patience or understanding of good RP at the time and stopped playing within about a week.

About four years later I was out of college and living alone, broke, and bored in Japan with nothing but a beat-up laptop and slow connection to an un-secure WIFI connection!

Since the first time I played SK and that time in Japan I had some more meaningful experiences with D&D, Nightbane, and Heroes Unlimited, and thought I'd give SK another chance with a Griffon scout named Groof who palled around with some guy named Adroan.

I spent a LOT of time in the following 6 or so years, then became more on/off again. I find I can't leave though, don't think I ever will, and will continue my little monthly donations until either the MUD shuts down or I die! Really love this game.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:39 am 
Mortal

I've been playing on and off since 1998 I started as a freshman in highschool at the age of 14 and now I'm 30. I played SK a solid 6 years, went to a few "gatherings" in Kenosha, Wisconsin back when those still existed and met so many people I still consider great friends. I've traveled all over the country to visit with people I've played this game with, even had two good friends of mine that I met through SK get married in my hometown in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. I went to other games like Counterstrike where I played in CAL leagues and then WoW where I mainly just pvp'd, never raided, but I always end up coming back to SK. Now I work so much I hardly have time to play like I'd like, but that is one of the reasons I love SK, you can be a casual player and still be somewhat relevant in the scheme of things. I will always play SK as long as it is around.