Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gaming PC, where to find them
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:09 pm 
Mortal

I've been pondering building my own gaming PC (only flaw is having no knowledge about such) and was curious where of places to purchase such. If I can find an already built one that would be nice, my biggest flaw besides having no knowledge in building is not knowing where to look for such.

I had someone at work mention a site known as newegg but not sure. Any suggestions?

I've been playing a game lately called H1Z1 yet I've been having lag issues and recently it's been crashing after each BR I join. Seems it won't let me play more than one BR and the game crashes.

I was given an Alienware Alpha gaming console and it doesn't seem all that great.

Specs it came with are:

Performance: Intel Core i3-4130T Processor
4GB Memory
500GB Hybrid Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 2GB Graphics

That is what it says on the box. I'm curious if I should just go out and get an all new computer for gaming or is it even possible to upgrade this one. It has lag issues which I was curious if going out and getting more RAM would help it but I'm hesitant to spend money on something which may end up being a waste.

Post subject: Re: Gaming PC, where to find them
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:12 am 
Gold Donor

I'm using an i7 (2nd gen), 6gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (2GB video ram), 1.5tb HDD. It handles all my games at near or full settings, and handles the Oculus Rift with minimal latency. All of that minus the video card was an out of the box machine from Staples, the graphic card was from Future Shop (Absorbed by Best Buy). Acer, not all that expensive. In fact, I have an Acer Iconia tablet that is actually just shy of your specs, swap the HDD for SSD of (EDIT) just shy of half your capacity, and I can't recall the graphics specs but not quite that good... Does run Stick of Truth flawlessly though!

I'd go for a new computer personally. I'd like a new one myself! There is a limit to how much a RAM upgrade would improve performance.

Check out this site, play around, build your "dream PC". It is good for checking compatibility and not allowing you to screw up (as easily)! The last dream PC I created would cost about $8000.....

https://pcpartpicker.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:12 am 
Mortal

Not hard to assemble your own computer and if you're looking to spend over 1000 bucks on it, it is a hell of a lot more cost affective than buying a pre-built piece of [REDACTED], that's usually loaded with bloat ware.

All you need is,
- A Tower (The bigger the better, gives you more room to work with and they usually fit all sizes of motherboards)
- Mother board, ASUS has the nicer ones, just make sure you have at least two PCI Express ports, though the more the merrier.
- CPU. i7-4770 is nice, though the i7-4990 is better and the same price as what the i7-4770 went for when I bought it.
- Hard Drive for Storage needs. 1-2 Terrabytes will last you for ages.
* - SSD storage units are more reliable, faster and less power consuming, but still to expensive for the amount of space you get and usually used as your system drive for your OS.
- Power Source, bigger is always better. 750 to 800.
- RAM, 16gb is the ideal amount.
- DVD Drive/Burner (Mainly to install your OS and other hardware drivers on setup)
- And most importantly a Graphics Card. As already stated, the Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 will take care of all your graphical needs for now, very little or if anything requires anything higher.

And if you're stumped when it comes to installing it all, most towers actually have basic setup instructions along with the motherboard. And when in doubt, Google is always helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:12 am 
Mortal

Most of the trouble with building a desktop computer is compatability. You just need to make sure that all your parts work together. After you spend enough time researching the parts and then purchasing them. it is pretty much like using Lego blocks. Another issue that could arise is dead on arrival parts. Which are parts that don't work the begin with and need to be returned for a replacement. I use newegg to browse parts and purchase through amazon or newegg depending on price and availability.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:00 pm 
Mortal

Volgacks wrote:
Most of the trouble with building a desktop computer is compatability. You just need to make sure that all your parts work together. After you spend enough time researching the parts and then purchasing them. it is pretty much like using Lego blocks. Another issue that could arise is dead on arrival parts. Which are parts that don't work the begin with and need to be returned for a replacement. I use newegg to browse parts and purchase through amazon or newegg depending on price and availability.

People are still foolish enough to have parts shipped to them? That should always be a last case scenario. As for compatibility of parts, usually the MotherBoard and Tower that people tend to screw up, since Motherboards I believe come in three sizes. However a good way to make sure you don't encounter that problem is to look up some gaming PC's spec lists. It's crazy how much they charge for a pre-built compared to buying the pieces individually. The beast I built (Granted now a year old) cost me about $1800 total for all pieces and software. The pre-built ones that matched mine in terms of power were almost $1000 more.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:29 pm 
Mortal

I've been building computers for over a decade, the only thing that is really messy at this time is the mobo/case. You technically can screw up the mobo/graphics card, but then you are getting a crappy mobo. I build all of mine though newegg. They have a great return policy if they don't work, and are priced very competitively.