Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Let's nerd it up, OS style!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:17 pm 
Gold Donor

What operating systems do you guys and gals use?

I myself have a dual-boot Arch / Windows 10 (upgraded) Acer desktop (use the Arch with TinTin++ for SK, currently Plasma 4 but upgrading to 5 this weekend). Had to completely alter the EFI partition to get it working with rEFInd, that was fun...

Just inherited an Acer laptop and installed Arch with Plasma5 from scratch, going to hit up the AUR and get TinTin++ running on that as well for some SK goodness. Really liking Plasma5, that is one pretty and versatile desktop environment. And Arch is one hell of an OS when you get it set up nice!

Have an Acer tablet upgraded to Windows 10, great for videos and web browsing, the bluetooth keyboard's response time sucks for SK, but the little sucker is packing an i5 and runs Stick of Truth flawlessly while plugged in.

I probably spent the most time on SK recently with my MacBook Air, TinTin++ on that sucker as well (I love being able to copy/paste my TT++ config file between the different OS). Honestly didn't care for Mac before, but my wife got me into them and am not looking back! OSX is a very pleasant OS and almost as stable as Arch (almost).

I have another computer in our study I use to program on, Windows 8 currently but going to jump on the free upgrade soon enough. No SK for this machine.

I set us up a headless-server for the house to link all our various computers (the wife has a few Mac's, a PC running Win 10 and OpenSUSE 12.2, two Win 7 laptops with one dual-booted OpenSUSE 13.2) running Fedora20 and largely set up as a SAMBA server to make it a little more friendly to the various Windows machines.

Out of all the OS, I am really enjoying Arch the most. It is ridiculously stable as long as you don't screw it up during setup, and the setup has to be one of the most fun parts of it! Only sad setup has to end... meaning when it is set up you are pretty much set for life. Bless and curse the rolling distribution model!

I do miss Debian, I used to be all over the Debian back in the day! But Arch completely blows it out of the water.

PS: My wife says "My favorite is OpenSUSE" (Bless her, but she is as crazy as the road-lizzard they use as a mascot! <3 )

Post subject: Re: Let's nerd it up, OS style!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:36 pm 
Gold Donor

I should add a few things about Arch, both machines I have running it are fully custom installed, no Chakra or Arch-Bang or other Arch distros. Pure Arch installed from the terminal. Sadly using EXT4 file system on both, but when the day comes I feel like re-installing I will likely jump up to btrfs, even if it is mostly un-necessary for a non-RAID setup. Definitely will be putting Arch with btrfs on the headless-server when it is in need of its next major upgrade, but that could be years from now with how admirably Fedora20 is performing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:29 pm 
Mortal

Windows 7. Surprising to know someone takes their OS so passionately, most people only care about what power of their box.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:56 pm 
Gold Donor

Chem wrote:
Windows 7. Surprising to know someone takes their OS so passionately, most people only care about what power of their box.

Thanks, it really is a passion!

And it is a little sad so many focus just on the hardware. A lot of the hardware's power can go to waste without a finely tuned OS.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:04 pm 
Mortal

Windows 10, and it's not so bad. Got the free upgrade from my ridiculous Windows 8, so I'm glad to have this.