Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:38 pm 
Mortal Contributor

I'm having an impossible time with this note I'm trying to post. For some reason it is deleting the first line of my second paragraph. I've tried everything I can think of to change the formatting. I've even done the formatting by hand in notepad not using .f at all. I've tried to enter in everything line by line, 80 characters at a time. I've reworded the sentence in case I was breaking some unknown rule in my phrasing. It still deleted the first sentence of that second paragraph!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try? I'm going absolutely crazy. I've been at it for about an hour and a half and I've gone through 20 or so notes. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:06 pm 
Mortal

Jada, I'll help you with this tomorrow. Send me an IM. I'm curious as to see what the issue is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:11 pm 
Mortal

Here's a few things I've noticed with the notes. The $* character, especially with no spaces after a word, can cause a lot of problems. If your using them, put them on new lines. Second of all, you have a very handy .f, .s, and .c commands. .f formats your note and makes it look pretty. PLEASE always do this, because .f guarantees it'll look good when any user sees it. The .s commands is nice because it shows your note after your done. If you see typos, or things that are wrong, go ahead and .c (clear) it and re-write. That way, it only takes one note to write.

If that doesn't help you at all Jada, feel free to PM me with the note, and I'll take a look at it and see if anything is wrong.

sleeper

Edit: IM works too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:09 am 
Mortal Contributor

Well, I tried again for another half hour or so rewriting that one sentence to see if there was something in it's wording that was making it be uneneterable. Apparently the phrase 'whether in a friendly or hostile manner' is not able to be put into notes. So I left it out and it worked. :o The note doesn't have the exact wording that I wanted so I'm still a little sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:00 am 
Mortal

bumped due to updating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:38 pm 
Mortal

People... please, for the love of all that is holy, be sure to format (.f) your notes.

Thanks.

sleeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:38 am 
Mortal

sleeper wrote:
People... please, for the love of all that is holy, be sure to format (.f) your notes.

Thanks.

sleeper

Tweaked wording in initial post to address this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:42 am 
Mortal

2 questions for the players here and Alshain -

How interested is anyone in having either a Word example of a formatted note, and if there was such an interest, is there a place on these forums to store it/download it? I could edit the main post to contain the link to said example should it come to fruition...

I would consider a bit of a rewrite/reformat for the in-game note writing help file. Nothing as lengthy as the additional help provided here, but perhaps to more firmly address/clarify the key points/tips for writing notes within the game.

Let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:28 pm 
Gold Donor

I don't know about word formatted, but I have a simple .txt example (that may even still be on the astral boards). Don't think I should post it, may be some sort of rules violation, but my template goes along the idea of:

Code:
Copy of title
$*
$*
Paragraph written line by line
manually formatted to a certain
length, like such.
$*
$*
More paragraphs with '$*' twice between on new lines
$*
$*
signature

Then copy / paste it in the note write editor, you'll see a bunch of '>'s, type '.f' and check it with '.s' and you are done.[/code]